Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Four years for life


As I've been watching the Euro Cup on TV, I've started to think about where I was for the previous Euro Cup four years ago in 2004. I had just graduated high school and was on a trip through Europe with my friends. I met my brother in Rome to continue the trip, and we watched Greece beat Portugal in the finals at Balmer's hostel in Interlaken, Switzerland. I'll never forget that night as long as I live.

Four years later, I've started to think about where I was then. I had graduated high school, but didn't know if I had the Evans. Regardless, I was ready for college. I tried to put things into perspective, and thought it strange that the next time I would see a Euro Cup game I would have graduated from college. I dismissed the thought- that was a lifetime away. But now it's a reality, and it's frightening.

So much has changed since that summer. I've changed. I doubt I would recognize myself. Since then I've met people I'll be friends with for the rest of my life. I found a second home, a second family. I've found passion, lost it, and learned to find it again. And while it has been four years, it's seemed like a minute. Maybe that's good, maybe it isn't. 

Regardless, I know it will endure.

No comments: