Friday, August 1, 2008

Books (as in reading)


So I was going to start of list of books that I have read recently, much like the list of movies that I have watched recently, but then decided not to as I am embarrassed at how little I read now, something which I really need to change.

Anyways, two books that I have read recently and enjoyed are I, Claudius by Robert Graves (especially if you are interested in antiquity) and City of Thieves by David Benioff.

I just realized that I don't even know David Benioff, but I kinda hate him. He's in his mid-thirties, is an extremely accomplished author turned screenwriter, and he he's married to a hot-ass actress. This, however, did not stop me from enjoying the book.

Sorry, David, no hard feelings. I'm just kidding. 

When's the movie coming out?

He opened his eyes, those pale blue Cossack eyes, and smiled at me. We both knew he was going to die. He trembled, lying on the backseat beneath his greatcoat, his teeth very white against his blue lips. I have always believed that smile was a gift for me. Kolya had no faith in the divine or the afterlife; he didn't think he was going to a better place, or any place at all. No angels waited to collect him. He smiled because he knew how terrified I was of dying. This is what I believe. He knew I was terrified and he wanted to make it a little easier for me. 
But even Kolya couldn't hold the smile for long. He closed his eyes again. When he spoke, his mouth was very dry, his lips sticking together as he tried to form the words.
"It's not the way I pictured it," he told me.

-Lev Beniov, "City of Thieves"


I love the ambiguity of the last line.

No comments: