Monday, September 1, 2008

Favorite child performances: Part 1

There is something really special about a great performance by a child actor - here are my five favorite male performances. Female performances coming soon...

Honourable Mention:
Kelly Reno, "The Black Stallion"

5. Jean-Pierre Leaud, "The 400 Blows"

So I don't really like the classics much, but this gem of the French New Wave really affected me.



4. Freddie Highmore, "Finding Neverland"

All this kid has to do is speak and it makes me weep.



3. Haley Joel Osment, "The Sixth Sense"

They gave the Oscar to Michael Caine? This kid delivers a line that is now burned into the English lexicon.



2. Christian Bale, "Empire of the Sun"

Heartbreaking performance by one of the best actors ever.



1. Jamie Bell, "Billy Elliot"

There's a reason that he beat out Russell Crowe at the BAFTA's. Absolutely brilliant.

1 comment:

J.D. said...

Child perfs have always been my favorite cinematic subculture. I think Freddie Highmore helped to start that!

Leaud, Bell and Bale are three of my absolute favorites by anyone, actually. I also wanna mention Bertil Guve in Fanny & Alexander because I've gotta represent. Represent what? I'm not sure.